Monday, February 16, 2009

Love Helps

I walked in to the kitchen and saw both kids scurrying around packing their lunch for school tomorrow. It seems after a three-day weekend, the intensity in getting ready to go back to school increases. This lunch making session was no different. Urgency for my son was at DEF CON Four. He is like me. For the princess, prancing around pausing in between verses of the song she was singing, she was challenging him. It delighted me and annoyed the Little Mister.

But Love Helps.

She was stuck in a quandary. On one side she needed help. On the other side, she wasn't about to ask him for help. Big sisters don't ask little brothers for help.

That is when they noticed I had walked in and observed Family Ties.

I slipped through the kitchen acting as if nothing had been observed. I headed to grab the digital camera. It seems my pension for paparazzi captures the best and worst of a moment. Then I was socked in the gut with a moment that mattered.

As she tried to reach the top shelf to grab a part of her lunch, he noticed. He is tough and tenacious...and tender. I threw the camera up and snapped a master piece that I would call "Love Helps."



As a daddy, I was moved. As a person, I was challenged.

Peace,
JHARP
www.extramilerun.com