Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A View From Up High

I can’t quite shake this latest thought. For some years now, I have been obsessed with all things Everest. At one point, I got sucked into watching, reading, and researching everything I could on Mt Everest.

I feel obsessed with it.

The highest mountain summit on the planet, more than 28,000ft above sea level, the air is thin up there. Few can survive without supplemental oxygen. Yet there are some who live for one reason…to lead others to the next level. Sherpa’s lead others to places they have already been and found value in.

For those close to me, they have heard me rattle on my fascination with the Sherpa Community.

As I watched and read about all things Everest, the common thread that wove every successful expedition together was two fold: Equipment and Sherpas.

The first is equipment. Obvious; The best oxygen, the best climbing gear, the warmest clothes, makes for success. Ok, I get it.

But Sherpas? Sherpas are high mountain dwellers who have acclimated to the extraordinary heights. They dwell, live, and exist at altitudes that other seek to summit.






































The Sherpa’s purpose and passion is to get others to the mountain top. They carry equipment, oxygen, food, water, sometimes up to the equivalent of their own body weight on their back. All so that others can experience new heights.

Essentially, they are selfless givers of life to others potential.

They give themselves to a cause that is greater that them…other people’s success.

I want to be a Sherpa.



Find a way to lead someone to a summit that you have already experienced.

The higher summit for an underserved child could be a trip to the dentist.
The higher ground for a student struggling in school could be a tutor.
The summit for a family who has nothing could be a roof over their head.

Find someone. Love them by leading them to a place you have already been and would love to show them the view.