Saturday, March 25, 2006

A Go Giver

It wasnt supposed shake me like that. At least I did'nt think so. I walked in and my daughter was scribbling some notes like only a seven year old can. Concentrating. Focused. Deliberate.
Her upper lip gently bit down on to her lower lip as she got lost in a glaze looking off into the blank roof of her room. With her fingers tightly wrapped around her pink colored pencil, I broke her thought.
"Whacha doing?" I asked. "Making a Christmas list daddy."
I wasn't shocked, this is what kids do. As I glanced at her list, I noticed the toys and dolls listed were of things she already had. Why would she want to buy duplicates? My inner thoughts formatted a half puzzled questions of her.
"Baby, don't you have these toys? Why would you want more?"
Then she spoke. With the wisdom of Solomon and the sincerity and compassion of a seasoned Mommy.
"Daddy, these arent the gifts I want to get. This is the list of my toys that I want to give. Your outreach is coming and I am packing bags of my toys to give away."
I stumbled away in a web of my own emotion. I didnt know if I should cry, smile or do a combination of the two.
At that I moment I was so proud of her.

I grabbed the camera. I did'nt want to miss this.

She was learning.
She was living.
She was loving.

I snuck out and then back again. I wanted to capture it. I'm not confident my mind can remember all I am feeling.



Maybe she'll have a great goal. Rather than being a "go-getter", she'll be a "go-giver"

In love,
jas