Tuesday, January 30, 2007

For Their Sake, I Hope

Blasphemychallenge.com

It's hard to look at. Even to the secularist. Those that are unchurched cringe. It is a viral effect that has swept the US in the last few weeks. BlasphemyChallenge.com is a website that asks people to denie the existence and power of God and the Holy Spirit. If a person does this, them they are given a free DVD called "The God That Was Not There."

What's awkward is how people squirm watching it. My unchurched friends who have never set foot in a church squirm. I shift is a nervous response. I almost felt like I was watching a car crash.

In some ways I was.

I wont get into the effects, validity or lack of substance and stupidity of their statements. Except to say, in most cases, true atheist do not work so hard to disprove God. If He really did not exist, then why do some spend so much time arguing it.

Look at it this way. If I showed you a picture of my child, I would not argue to you that she was beautiful. I would simply show you the pic and then express my love. From there, a person would decide. I would look foolish trying to argue, "but, really, come on, truly, she IS pretty." Foolishness. Let truth be seen. It echoes beyond what is heard.

The one thing we can't do is to get into a global debate. My response can't be to make a video that logically points out flawed logic. It's impossible and worthless to argue unconditional love. It is illogical. Love is illogical.

For me, the blashemychallenge.com is just that a challenge. It is challenging to see that their views are being propelled by creativity, urgency, finance, and unity. They have mobilized a national response in a week.

I heard it said once this way, "There are some who have done more for a lie, than I have done for the truth."

Today, don't argue love.
Today, don't speak, listen.
Today, don't follow, lead.

And as a post script, for the sake of the folks making videos, for their sake, I hope they are right.