Monday, January 29, 2007

Starbucks: It's More Than Coffee

She was right. We had just finished a butt kicking 5:30 AM workout with a group of 15, that are training for the next adventure. I was energized and ready to start my day. But in typical fashion, I said "Lets go Starbucks and get a quick coffee." Many agreed, including Christa. Before she loaded into my car, she asked a good question.

"Why would we go get a coffee, when we have coffee right here in the office?"

Thanks Christa.

I started to ponder it? Why do we go 'get coffee?' Why would we wait in line? Why pay nearly $2 for a straight cup of black coffee? My friends on the inside of this corporate giant said that the cost of a Starbuck's Venti house blend is between 2 and 3 cents…

And even better than that…or worse….they are everywhere. China, India, everywhere.

I guess it's more than coffee. It's and experience. It's being together. It's laughing. It is good coffee, but it is even better friends.

I love people. I love asking questions. I love connecting and finding what makes every person better. I like knowing what completes them; what drives them.

I learn most of this at Starbucks.