Monday, May 21, 2007

At the Top of the Earth

Monday, May 21, 2007

She must have been gasping for life's breath. After all she was over 28,000 feet above sea level. Looking out on to the earth's horizon, Samantha Larson had accomplished a life goal, to summit Everest.

"We made it to the top!"

Samantha's Blog

These were the words she said to her mom from a satellite phone. Hiking with her father, Samantha has now conquered the highest peaks on all seven summits. (www.7summits.com)

I am intrigued. I have a healthy jealousy stirring. Not envy…but more of a sense of, "I wish I could have been there." It is one thing to summit Everest. She is the Mother of all Mountains. But to tackle all of the sisters of Everest, the earth's seven highest peaks.

Samantha has literally scratched the ceiling in the four corners of the earth.
I've pondered and found myself asking, "What did it take to accomplish this?" Beyond the cash, the travel, and the training…what lessons will she walk away from Everest with.



Tomorrow, I will share with you my fascination with Everest.
Until then, include.

Jason