Tuesday, May 22, 2007

LESSONS FROM EVEREST

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Walking up Everest, it has been said that the lungs feel like needles are stabbing the inner lining. The air is thin, 30% of the O2 available at sea level. Fingers, toes, and face burn from sub zero temperatures. In the midst, expeditions have to navigate around people and problems. It seems the higher you go, the more problems there are.

Have you ever felt this way with life, school, or coaching? The higher you get, the more potential there is for problems. Most of the problems that I face are not immediately life threatening. On Everest, every move can be lethal.
With life, we should all be seeking to summit something.



Here are a few thoughts from Everest that are applicable in the home, classroom, court, or field when seeking the next level or summit.
When seeking the summit, here are four non-negotiable for climbers must:

Resist the Urge Negotiate Stopping
Each morning I run. I hate it. I love it. I need it. I don't want it. I do it anyway. One of the things that I do is Hill Work. When the going gets steep, my mind starts to negotiate stopping. Same thing happens with your athletes when you condition them. Teach them not to negotiate stoppage before their determined summit.

Wednesday Look: Can you be pushed to the summit's limit?

Until then, climb.
Jason Harper
Jasonh@ccconline.cc