Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Day 58: Mind Tool: Adversity

I can here the rain pelting the roof. I know the trail awaits me. Mud. Wet. Cold. It is one of those mornings that running is difficult. My mind says "postpone til the sun comes up." The reality is that its usually the rain that slows me.

Cold, you layer up and can run warm most of the time. But with rain and cold, you are drenched within minutes. Then for the rest to the run, you slosh and slip.

The reality is that your next race day could be in the rain. I've never met a runner who showed up at a race and said, "Though I have trained for 18 weeks, its drizzling to I am going to sit this one out." I am sure its happened. But, really?

The rain is there and so is the run. Unless we have practiced adversity, we wont be willing to dance with it on race day. Embrace the rain, the sloshing, the mud, the cold. Know that every step in your soaked shoes is a step further the day it rains on your race. Adversity amidst the cold. Adversity amidst the rain. Aversity amidst the run.

Now, listen the rain outside. Its calling your name. Listen to the frost covered fields where you live. The sub-zero temps have showed up and want to pick a fight with you. The bookys are betting you will call the run off.




Lace up. Line up. Live.

Jas