Monday, October 24, 2011

Week 11: Why We Do It

Greetings Be Change Runners!

Hopefully by now I have spoke to or emailed with all of you. As we reached our halfway point of training, I wanted to check in and see if you had any comments, questions or concerns. If you did not hear from me it means that we do not have you as a registered runner. To register as a Be Change runner, please visit www.bechange.cc If at any time you have any comments, questions or concerns, please feel free to either email me at gruvers@bechange.cc or call me at 916.856.5648.
Run For A Reason

by Jason Harper


As the miles stack up, the internal motivation and external motivation will help keep your feet moving. This week, marathoners have 16 miles to run for the long run and half marahoners/relay runners have 7 miles. For many reasons, just 2 months ago, this may have seemed impossible. But as you have read the past two weeks emails, we have tried to get your mind wrapped around the longer runs.


As you pound these miles out, two things I know for sure: 1) You will be successful 2) You will have conquered a huge goal.


Be Change exists to provided equal education for every child. It is insane to think that a child living in the most advanced and prosperous country on the planet may have never been to a doctor or a dentist. Poverty has strangled many, and in time, these children will face grave education deficiencies because of poor health, and thus poor academics.


By choosing to be part of Run for a Reason, you are helping change the trajectory of many kids. By running you are strategically taking part of making their plight easier.


Your family and friends may ask, "why are you running a marathon?" This is your opportunity to explain the vision in simple statements.


By RUNNING:


"...you are raising awareness about these kids in need."

"I am running for a reason. I represent children in the inner city who have never seen a doctor or dentist. The more people who know this problem exists, the more we can demand a change."


"...you are raising funding to assure children have access to a doctor or dentist."

"I am running to raise awareness and funding. Last year, the Run for a Reason campaign was able to get acute dental exams for more than 500 kids and care for their immediate needs. We also enrolled them in existing health care programs and assisted in providing food to hungry families. This is why I run. Would you like to help?"


Your family and friends may ask how they can help, please point them to your personal Group Rev Page or the Be Change sponsorship page.


Again thank you for being a part. Now, go crush those miles one step at a time.



TRAINING THIS WEEK

MARATHON

Training plan for WEEK 11 | October 9th – October 15th

Sunday: REST DAY

Monday: 4 mile run

Tuesday: 8mile run

Wednesday: Cardio/Core work

Thursday: 4 mile run

Friday: Cardio/Core work

Saturday: 16 mile run

SATURDAYS RUN MAP: www.tiny.cc/saturdayrun

Half Marathon & Relay

Training plan for WEEK 11 | October 9th – October 15th

Sunday: REST DAY

Monday: 6 mile run

Tuesday: 4 mile run

Wednesday: Cardio/Core work

Thursday: 4 mile run

Friday: Cardio/Core work

Saturday: 7 mile run

SATURDAYS RUN MAP: www.tiny.cc/saturdayrun

Keep up the good work!
This was sent to me by a Be Change runner and with their permission, I

am passing on...
Today was the worst day… I am so grateful!


It's all perspective. In the chaos of life we can choose how we look at

things. Today I felt down, so I ran. I run for peace, clarity, health,

and for my spirit.


This is what came to me as I searched for peace...


The Mom on the hill ~ Our bank account was negative today. I had to

dip into my savings.

The Mom in the inner city - My bank sent me a notice today. I haven't

had money in there for so long, they closed my account. I am so broke

they turned their back to me...am I hopeless?


The Mom on the hill ~ Money is tight. I have no extra money to spend.

Just groceries and gas.

The Mom in the inner city - I'm working so hard, and I am praying. I

have no money. How am I going to feed the kids this week? I heard

there is a food bank in town. I hope they can help me. I never thought

it would come to this. I feel shame having to ask for a hand out, but I

have mouths to feed.


The Mom on the hill ~ My car is making a noise. Shoot! Is it under

warranty? Another big bill possibly looming. Another dip into savings.

The Mom in the inner city - It's stormy outside. Bundling up kids in a

hurry to make it to the bus stop. It is cold and dark. What would it

be like to be able to get in a car on this stormy day? We would be

dry.


The Mom on the hill ~ My husband’s company is going bankrupt! He got

a job today. But winter will be tight as he is in training. Sad that

our company is going under. When will this recession be over?

The Mom in the inner city - I lost my job today. I was just a clerk

but I gave them 8 years of hard work. Never late. Did my job well.

Company is downscaling. They let me go. It didn't matter how hard I

worked. I was at the bottom of the totem pole. How will I find a job

in this recession? I didn't know the company was going to do this. I'm

cleaning out my desk today with no job tomorrow. What will I tell my

family?


The Mom on the hill ~ Season is changing, rain is coming and money is

tight. Dip into savings until we get through winter. I need to make a

trip to the mall for winter shoes and clothes for the kids. Sad, on a

tight budget. I'll just buy what's needed.

The Mom in the inner city - It's getting cold. Rain is coming. I'm

looking at my kids shoes. The soles are worn and there are little holes

around the seams. They will have to do right now. I wish I could do

better for them. Jackets, I can pass the older one's down. What about

my little one? I heard there is a winter coats for children charity.

Maybe that's the answer. What would it be like just to go out and stock

up on what you need? Maybe someday.


The Mom on the hill ~ Downscaled. No housecleaner. There is a lot to

keep up with. Miss the help.

The Mom in the inner city - Need some extra money. Nothing is coming

in. Maybe I can clean some houses up the hill. That would be such a

gift and relief. Even one housecleaning job....I could get groceries on

the table and pay PG&E.


The Mom on the hill ~ Holiday's! Oh, My! Just keep it basic this year.

Thanksgiving. Gifts for the kids. I won't buy any new decorations.

Maybe my husband and I can forgo presents this year to each other. We

will just focus on the kids.

The Mom in the inner city - I am barely making it. I'm in tears.

Holiday's are coming. My kids deserve to celebrate too...but I have

nothing, we can't. Maybe Thanksgiving at the church this year? They

can still have turkey and we will be together. Good people there. Oh,

but Christmas. I can't even afford a tree. How will I look in their

eyes when I have no presents for them? Santa can't come. They will

wonder what they did wrong.


The Mom on the hill ~ we are upside down in the house. We may have to

walk. We may have to leave this neighborhood and rent. There are some

nice houses out there to rent. It will be fine. I just hope the rental

will have a pool. What will my friends think? They are all talking

about us.

The Mom in the inner city - I'm behind in rent. I've been scraping. I

don't know what to do. I'm scared. It's getting cold. Oh, please ...I

pray...just for a roof over our heads. Keep us safe and warm. I don't

need much. I pray this for my kids.


Today was the worst day... and I am so grateful because in the midst of

my worst I am still blessed. Today I will say, "Thank You". When I

hear comments that I should focus on my own world, my own finances, my

own kids, and keeping what I have… I will say “My worst day is

somebody's dream!”
My kids will never know all they have and how lucky they are until they

learn that others struggle and that life sometimes is a struggle and it

is ok. It's the journey of life and it is what will build character and

strength. My kids will never learn compassion if they don't see

compassion from me. My kids will never learn about the world and make a

difference if they aren't exposed to the world.


Life is a journey - sometimes it is smooth and even, an easy ride.

Sometimes there are speed bumps and potholes and scary turns. Sometimes

you can't see the road ahead and you have to move forward with faith.

The entire journey is amazing bumps, brokenness, horizons and smooth

sailing.


The world will never be a better place if we aren't thankful and we

don't extend a helping hand to those in need. Sometimes, the greatest

lessons are to those of us helping rather than those receiving. Lessons

of growth and strength and character.


So today, in my worst day… I choose to "BE CHANGE". At the end of my

life it won't matter what I had in the bank account, where I shopped,

how I vacationed, or what I drove...what will matter is the legacy I

leave behind, how I raise my kids, my relationships with my friends and

family, and the love I left them with.

~Mom on the Hill and Be Change Runner