Monday, October 31, 2011

Week 14 | Can You See?

Greetings Be Change Runners!

If you can see yourself doing something, you can do it. If you can’t see yourself doing it usually you can’t achieve it. - David Goggins, Ultra Marathon Runner

Most of you are probably wondering what on earth you could possibly have in common with an ultra marathon runner. My answer would have been absolutely NOTHING, until I watched his video.

I have been feeling a little overwhelmed the past two weeks, not going to lie. I set a goal for myself to shave off 1 hour 10 minutes from my marathon time of last year. My body is feeling tired and somewhat beat up and I am dealing with some major blister issues. As the runs are getting longer, the days are getting shorter and my schedule is getting busier. I am feeling that I just might have bit off more than I can chew, and that maybe my goal is a tad too audacious.

Yesterday, the David Goggins YouTube clip was sent to me and it brought me back to this whole business of mental toughness. In week 12, we defined mental toughness as the capacity to reliably perform at your best regardless of external conditions, distractions, or internal emotions. Take a few minutes to watch this video. Even though the conditions are certainly more extreme, he is dealing with the exact same thing we are… The will to keep going when you feel you no longer can.

Watch it and be ready to be inspired. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrlmLvPFdg8

Something that he said that really stuck out was “I train until something is uncomfortable and that’s when you know who you are.” So, what does that really mean?

Running is a metaphor for life. Running teaches us who we are and through running I have realized that I am not comfortable with being uncomfortable. Few of us are. Training for and running a marathon is a large commitment that incites both physical and mental pain. I don’t like pain. I normally dodge it and now, I am learning how to live amidst it, embrace it, and ultimately manage it. I am slowly learning that 18 weeks of training and 5 hours of payoff will cost me time, energy, dedication, emotion, and a willingness to wrestle with what I despise. Having said that, the pain pales in comparison to what the children we are running for go through every day.

Consider these words:

“Thank you for running for us, without you we don’t have a running club.”
-Female, 5th grade

“I went to the dentist and Dr. John made my mouth stop hurting.”
-Female, 6th grade

“I know that when my grades are down, Be Change will help me.”
-Male, 4th grade

Because of the kids, I’ve determined that quitting will never be an option. My time goal seems impossible, but then Goggins’ words echo:

“I’ve done a lot of things that I thought were impossible. Nothing is impossible anymore”. -David Goggins


TRAINING THIS WEEK

MARATHON
Training plan for WEEK 14 | October 30th - November 5th
Sunday: REST DAY
Monday: 5 mile run
Tuesday: 9mile run
Wednesday: Cardio/Core work
Thursday: 5 mile run
Friday: Cardio/Core work
Saturday: 14 mile run
SATURDAYS RUN MAP: www.tiny.cc/saturdayrun

Half Marathon & Relay
Training plan for WEEK 14 | October 30th - November 5th
Sunday: REST DAY
Monday: 7 mile run
Tuesday: 6 mile run
Wednesday: Cardio/Core work
Thursday: 6 mile run
Friday: Cardio/Core work
Saturday: 9 mile run
SATURDAYS RUN MAP: www.tiny.cc/saturdayrun

Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right!
~Henry Ford