Monday, October 24, 2011

Week 12: Feeling Mental

Greetings Be Change Runners!

WOW!! Week 12!! Time is flying by! Before you know it, it is going to be marathon day. GASP!
As you are logging in the miles, your body is becoming physically stronger but what about your mind?? This week, I was complaining to Jason about my run on the “dreadmill” the night before. I deemed it the “Worst. Run. Ever.” What made it so bad? I mentally went down a check list of possible things that could have affected my run: Did I hydrate well enough? Did I sleep enough? Did I eat well that day? The answer was yes to all those questions. So, what was it?? After unloading all of this to Jason, he simply looked at me and said, “It’s mental.” What?? Mental? That got me thinking… did I mentally sabotage my run? I think the answer to that just might be yes. I was tired that day and did not feel like running. It was pouring down rain which meant I had a date with the “dreadmill”. To be quite honest, I would rather have a root canal than run indoors and on a treadmill. I went into the run with a rotten attitude and guess what? I had a rotten run. I guess what I am trying to say is, Jason is right. (Boy do I hate saying that!) It is mental.

So, what is mental toughness?

Mental toughness is the capacity to reliably perform at your best regardless of external conditions, distractions, or internal emotions.

The good news is that you do not have to be born with mental toughness. Mental toughness is a learned trait. You can learn to be mentally tough through your runs every day. You will be challenged many times to keep moving forward and reach your goal. REMEMBER: The fastest way out is finish.
Mental Tips for Long Runs

How to Use Mental Strategies for Running by Christine Luff, About.com

Long-distance running can be as much a mental challenge as it is a physical test of strength and fitness. Some runners find that their body is willing to run longer, but it's too hard mentally to keep going. Follow these tips to help win the mental battle while running:

Try Some Self-Talk

If you're running alone and struggling, give yourself a pep talk. Tell yourself that you're not physically tired -- you're just mentally fatigued and you can push through it. Say to yourself things like, "I'll have some water in five minutes -- that will make me feel better." If you're doing your longest run ever, remind yourself how proud you'll feel when you're finished.

Break Up Your Run

Dividing up your run into smaller segments will make the distance feel much more manageable. For example, if you're running 20 miles, think, "OK, it's four 5-mile runs." At the start of each new segment, visualize yourself just starting out on a new run with fresh legs and just focus on getting to the end of that segment.

Remember: It's Not Always Easy

As you're doing a long run, remind yourself that it's not easy to train for a long-distance event. If it were, everyone would do it, right? Remind yourself that you're taking on a challenge and the difficulties you face will make your accomplishment all the more worthwhile in the end.

Find a Mantra

Picking a short phrase, such as "One step at a time," that you play over and over in your head while running can help you stay focused and centered. It can be your inner motivation when you need it most. You may already have a favorite phrase to use as a mantra, but if you don't have one, check out these quotes about running motivation and running marathons for some inspiration.
More: What's Your Running Mantra?

Use Imagery


When you hit a rough patch, try to imagine yourself as an Olympic athlete who's headed towards the finish line. Envision your running form as smooth, graceful, and relaxed. Think of a runner who you really admire and imagine yourself running just like him.

Play Counting Games


If you run where there are a lot of other runners, try this game: Pick out a specific article of clothing, such as a white running hat, to look for during your run. Then count how many runners you see wearing it. If you do a lot of running on the roads, you can also do this with cars of a certain model or color.

Make Post-Run Plans


I love deciding what I want to do after I finish my run, especially if I'm running in morning. I'll ponder something basic, such as what to make for dinner. It helps me organize my day and gives me something to look forward to after the run.

Visualize Your Race


If you're training for a race, such as a marathon, picture yourself running the course -- every mile -- and crossing the finish line. Picture how you want to pose for your photo as you run through the finish. Try to see the clock with your goal time (if you have one) displayed. Imagine what you'll be thinking as a volunteer puts your race medal around your neck. Think about how it will feel to see your loved ones at the finish line cheering for you.

TRAINING THIS WEEK
Marathon:

Training plan for WEEK 12 | October 16th – October 22nd

Sunday: REST DAY

Monday: 4 mile run

Tuesday: 8mile run

Wednesday: Cardio/Core work

Thursday: 5 mile run

Friday: Cardio/Core work

Saturday: 12 mile run

SATURDAYS RUN MAP: www.tiny.cc/saturdayrun

Half Marathon & Relay

Training plan for WEEK 12 | October 16th – October 22nd

Sunday: REST DAY

Monday: 3 mile run

Tuesday: 6 mile run

Wednesday: Cardio/Core work

Thursday: 5 mile run

Friday: Cardio/Core work

Saturday: 7 mile run

SATURDAYS RUN MAP: www.tiny.cc/saturdayrun

Keep up the good work!