Thursday, April 14, 2011

Day 100: Devil Mountain

















A brief update. I am on a journey to run everyday in 2011. By early February, I missed my first day. Yet, over the course of the first 100 days, I have missed a total of 8 days. 92/100. If it were a math test, I'd still get an A.

"A daily run must consist of at least 2 miles."

So making a run on the driveway for 2 minutes doesn't work. For the most part, I have enjoyed it. I am not allowing any pressure to run effect me...yet. On one occasion I was driving home from the airport. I had traveled all day and had yet to run. I hustled a run in street clothes that bled over the midnight hour. The fun of it was that I made sure to complete 2 miles after midnight so it counted! (I still ran that afternoon.)

Effects
I have remained injury free until lately, where I have had a little tenderness. However, I finished the Asics vs Nike Vomemro challenge and have gone back to Nike. The tender is residing slower that usual but its having to do it while creeping a slow two miles.

Endurance
I have enjoyed running tired. My legs are fatigues averaging 6+miles a day. Each AM, it takes a bit to loosen up. Once I get going, I feel great. Learning how to run tired is a mental battle much more than than a physical battle.

Ahead
I am looking forward to Devil Mountain. The Mt. Diablo 60K is on May 1 and brings with it 10,900 feet of elevation. Its truly a beast. Both Jimmy Dean Freeman and Ray Sanchez have smiled and said, "you enjoy that one." I will.

On June 5, I'll run the San Diego Rock n Roll Marathon. July 11-12, the Be Change Team will be crewing and pacing at Badwater. Lots of heat. Lots of hills. Lots of miles.

I love looking ahead. Maybe you have been considering 'movement.' Today, if you are at the beginning stage, get a pedometer at Walmart for $5. Put it on and today, try to get 3000 steps in. Tomorrow, 5000. Set a goal to have your first 10,000 step day by this time next week.

You can.
You will.
You are.

Much hope.

JAS

PICTURE: Far off in the distance, Devil Mountain rises from the valley floor. Mt. Diablo