Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Day 91: Hot Yoga Hurts So Good: Taboo Tuesday


My friend Greg Bomhoff (Twitter @24hourrun4kids) and I have been dabbling in Hot Yoga. Called Bikram, this yoga is practiced in a room that is heated to 105+(f) degrees to intensify and cleanse while stretching and sweating out toxic build up. Oddly, the Bikram Studio is owned and operated by an old friend who I hadnt seen in 25 years.

Greg and I have patiently and humbly :) taking our places in the back of the room where the Newbies gather. Over a 90 minute session, a series of 26 poses are walked through, twice. At times gasping, most of the time aching, the Bikram Instructor, patiently challenges each attender to push further and stretch deeper than the time before.

Frustrating. Hot. Challenging. Painful. Relaxing. Each of theses words adequatley describes the range of emotion that I feel.

But what do you do when you are faced with a challenging environment that moves you to the brink of feeling vulnerable? What do you do when the pain and stress, the agony of potential failure hovers over you like a hurricain of insecurity.

Oddly, this is Taboo Tuesday.

The reality is many people skip things like running, exercise, pilates and in this case Bikram's because of a few reasons that NEVER get talked about.

1. Hatred of Pain
Sometimes pain, not injury, are the bodies false attempts to mutiny your motivation. Pain stimulates as a way to stop you from progressing further down a path of resistance. However, resistance and friction are the keys that develope muscle and strength. When being pushed beyond comfort, sometimes mental more than physical, the best version of you emerges.

2. Resistance to Calm
I enjoy the heat, the burn, the pain, the challenge. Yet, while in Hot Yoga, there is one pose that is constantly inserted in between other poses. Called Savasana - corpse pose- this seems simple and relaxing. But for me, its hardly that. Savasana is to lie on your back, eyes looking straight up, while breathing in a calm rhythm. It has great function:

•Returns cardiovascular circulation to normal
•Slows heart rate, reduces blood pressure•Teaches complete relaxation
•Stills and focuses the mind

"Stills and focuses the mind" is the part I struggle and resist. Lying still, I struggle. Taboo is walking down the trail that stillness leads to. A mine field of unfullfilled goals, shattered dreams, unreached summits, unused potential, pain, problems, etc, are what rushes in the moment I assume the Savasana position.

My first emotional or mental response if "flight." My first physical response is "fight." These two emotions joust as I lie still seeking to slow my mind down. To be still, to remain focused on "no-movement", to bask in the brokeness, some believe it makes you better. As Fight AND Flight fatigue, so does my rebellion towards calm. Chaos melts away. Confusion and self-criticism drip off my mind more abundant than sweat drips off my head.

Savasana - corpse pose


Today, recognize savasana is not new.

Its called rest.
Its called rhythm.
Its called renewal.

Sometimes stillness is more difficult to obtain than strength.

Today, seek to, just try to embrace one thing that makes you uncomfortable. Your mind is stronger than you may think.

"Don't mind the pain. The pain will block out the pain."
-Karen Ernst Fitzpatrick


Until then,
jas