Thursday, April 28, 2011

Day 114: The Heat Is On: Greg Bomhoff

In the summer of 2009, I remember vividly the moment I read an email from an Ultrarunner named Greg Bomhoff. In the midst of planning a 24 hour run for his children's school, we met for coffee and have enjoyed a friendship since. From unplanned run-ins on a trail, racing in the same race (Rio Del Lago) or even pacing friends in the same run (AR50), to venturing in the torturous world of Hot Yoga, Greg and I share a passion to run for great causes.

Today, the Sac Bee ran a great article about Greg's newest venture, Badwater 135. Just over a year ago, Greg finished his 24 hour run on a 1/4 mile oval track, knocking down 127.75 miles. Days later, we honored him at Character Combine with the Spirit of the Sherpa Award. Walking off the stage, I thought I saw a glimmer in his eye of what was to come. It was Badwater. Badwater is a beast. Greg will join the likes of other running greats and feel the 150+ heat rise from the pavement. I have yet to qualify, but as a pacer for Ray Sanchez the last two years, I have ran nearly every portion of the Badwater Route... It is brutally beautiful.

Badwater keeps runners awake at night. The challenge and chase fades to an absolute committement to win. Its the best form of insomnia as you strategize and dream of ways to tangle and tussel with the desert road. For me, I say someday. For my friends like Ray, Brian, Connie,and Greg, I say, NOW! Go get yourself some!

Congratulations. Continue to Run it Forward and know the best is yet to come.