Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Day 92: Listen to Music?


On Day 92, I am reflective over the last 3 months of running nearly everyday. I say nearly because there have been a handful of days, under 10, that I have for one reason or another gotten in a minimum of 2 miles. Usually, it was due to long travel, schedule, or just sheer "I aint running today" attitude.

Each morning I find myself frantically looking for my ipod and headphones. Music is imperative. For some, very few, music is not part of their regiment. But for me, its a must. Listening to music is therapy. Listening to music is strategic and motivational. At times it can also be a crutch.

Do you listen to music while you run?

Consider these thoughts.

1. "Its Therapy"
I choose music that untangles my mind through its rhythm and lyrical content. Anyone who looks at my ipod would wonder what is up with my choices. But in reality, all types of music help me process. I have playlists called "LONG RUN SLOW' and list that say "PAIN". I have a list called "HAPPY" and even one called "DARK." Music motivates me and helps me put words to what I am feeling in my mind and heart. Once I understand it through the voice of another in song, it helps me untangle thought...while running.

2. "Strategic"
Regardless, each list is designed to move my mind to a better place. While running, I am cautious to not listen to music that will AMP me and cause me to run to fast. I also have music that AMP me to run faster. I am fanatical with rhythm and even the "beats per minute." BPM's equates to the tempo. On specific runs, I use music as a cadence maker. Like a metranome the down beat drops as my foot drops. If I slow down, I get out of sync. I have learned that if I am to run at my desired pace, I have to have music that is about 102-104 BPM. Thats how many footstrikes I seek (Cadence of Foot Turn-Over) each minute. Based on the length of your stride, that equates for me to be between 9 and 10 min miles over long runs.

For shorter, fast, interval workouts...Metallica. :)

3. "Motivational"
My friend Jimmy Dean Freeman who runs the So Ca Coyotes (A soon to be a "Runner You Need To Know Feature") has reminded me that with music everyone has a Power Song. A Power Song is the song buried in a play list that can turn your soul up. Its the song that can get you out of the "woe is me" funk. Its the song that when you get to the base of a big climb, you cue it up and hunker down and tear that hill a part. Power Songs motivate you.


Whats amazing to me is how goofy some of my power songs are. From a Jason Aldean song to a song from the Cure- From a Dave Mathews song to an occasional song from an obsure Tracy Chapman CD...I am motivated by music. At the same time, I am always a few clicks away from my most current Power Song. Yes, they change often.

What are you listening to? What songs motivate you? If you are not a music listener, can you give it a try?

Do what is best for you. Regardless, just run.


JAS