Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Running 365: Day 12: "In Da' Hood"


Walking past the ticket line and into the theater, I felt butterflies fluttering in my gut. I have looked with great anticipation to the premier of Hood to Coast Running Documentary that chronicles three or four running teams in the largest relay race in the world. One thousand, 12-person teams run 197 miles from Mt Hood Oregon to the Pacific Ocean.

Amazing.

Watching the stories unfold in this one-night only premier was facinating and gripping. Sharing the evening with some of my closest friends was priceless.



As I entered, I immediately saw Dave Bry, a Sacramento Be Change Runner who had a crew of 6 to match our crew of 8. A nearly packed theater was filled with runners from the Sacramento Region who I have seen countless times at races. I smiled, waved, and thumbs up people who were there experiencing the same vibe of hope, exhilartation and a fore-knowledge that soon they to would be hoping to registar to run H2C.

Before the movie rolled, I took inventory of those with me.

Sheri and Sherene | These two are the Be Change Runners from Elk Grove who some how conjoled me into meeting them every Thursday AM for a 445AM Run in order to monitor their Intervals/Repeats. Nearly an hour away, I left at 345AM to be on time to run them. I loved watching their eyes light up at the CIM in December. Completely tenacious and resilient, their life approach is contagious.

Michelle | In days, she leaves for the Brazil 135 to be the Crew Chief Ray Sanchez and his attempt at a Top 10 finish. As a great runner, she has a rare ability to get Ray, a top Ultra-Elite, to listen to her. She runs Equal Start and directs so many aspects of all things "Equal Start."

Erika | Waiting for her husband to arrive and saving him a seat, her new found discovered love for running was painted on her face. After only 4 months of serious running, she placed as the 6th female to finish the Sierra Nevada Endurance Run and 23 rd overall. The endurance in which she runs is second to how she dreams and plans for runs on behalf of others and their needs.

Tracy | He and I have known each other since 6th grade or even earlier, Tracy jumped in with both feet and nailed his first marathon finish. We ran the North Shore in Hawaii a few weeks ago and yet we had as much excitement for H2C.

BK | Recently regenerated back into the run game, BK ran next to me in 2005 in my first ever marathon. He has now started to train again for an epic year of distance and a hope of a race a month...for Be Change. He is the change in the world I want to be.

Halfway through the movie, I wondered if each of them were thinking what I was thinking...could this be the making of a Hood to Coast team. Could each of us line up, lottery in, and lead the way for what a completely diverse team looks like. From fast and furious runners to long distance/strong plodders, could this be what is formatting in each of our minds...

Walking out of the theater, Tracy leaned over to me and said, I'm in!.

The rest of us just laughed. And now what...