Thursday, January 13, 2011

Running 365: Day 13: "Hammer Time"

More than anything, the best way to move through an extended workout is to have the proper nutrition and hydration. Essentially, are you taking in the right calories and the right amount of liquid DURING your workout, jog, walk or run.

Cause for dramatic under performance is a lack of energy and the beginning phases of dehydration. In my early days of running, I headed out with a bottle of water...maybe. I never considered fuel (calories). But just like a wood stove burning wood to produce heat, your body needs energy to burn calories and create energy.

Finally, I decided on long(er) runs, I would use GU. I hated the texture and hated the taste. I found I would get a subtle boost of energy and then crash...while working out. Sustained energy was absent. Then I discovered Hammer Nutrition.
More than anything else, Hammer Products are not laden with sugar or simple carbs. Instead, they avoid fructose, sucrose and other simple sugars. Instead, they build with longer lasting, healthy carbs, for an energy source.

For the past four years, I am Hammer Exclusive as are most of our runners who care to learn and discover better performance.

Regardless of what your level of exercise is, consider learning the basics with a brief insider look from Steve Born, Hammer's fueling expert. Born, describes the essentials of getting started. It will make a difference in all you to as you quest the best version of yourself.

Much Hope,
JHARP

PICTURE: Ashley and Michelle, spending time with friend, Hammer's Steve Born