Sunday, January 23, 2011

Running 365: Day 23 : "Charlie RIP"

I have loved running. My goal is to run everyday this year- or as many as feasible, and in the mean time write about it. In the running community, I am learning very little is shocking. From distances people run to how approachable kind and gracious people are.

In 2009, I was at Badwater crewing for Ray Sanchez and while at Stovepipe Wells, I met Charlie Engle for the first time. It was brief. He was running. I was standing...in a boot cast. As he left the aid station area, I hollared some encourangments. He finished 4th.

Since then, I have watched the Running the Sahara (see Day 19 or 20 where I write on Ray Zahab) and been moved by Charlie's resilience. After running across Africa, he ran across America amidst an election year...



When I started researching ultra runners for a future project, Charlie made himself available as I sought the connection between great runners and whether their past has addiction attached to it. As with Charlie mine does. Today, I have been sober for 18 years (Jan 23, 1993).

But today, Charlie is facing a few more weeks of freedom. This past summer, a jury found him guilty of making a false statement on a mortgage loan application. They prosectution accused him of being part of a grand scheme. Read More Here.

Now facing 20+ months in federal prison, Charlie Engle will be racing toward a release date. A prolific and creative mind, running will keep him fresh. He has created and will maintain a blog called RIP: Running In Place. Charlie could be the first guy to run for 24 hours straight inside a federal prison cell.

His tenacity and strength is second to none. It seems he will need it now more than ever.

Charlie: Get out soon and safely. Then lets run while seeking to be the change in the world we want to see.

Much hope.