Friday, January 07, 2011

Running 365: Day 7

At times its on fire. At times its frigid and cold. Thus is my relationship with running. Usually, the fire erupts in my heart over a long lazy run that last hours. With a couple bottles of Hammer Gel augmenting my water, my Ipod Mini, and great company, any assortment of friends and I take off. Running free, lost in my head, jumping creeks, logs, trail crevaces, the mind is constantly distracted from the insanity of this "everything is urgent" reality we live in. In those moments, my heart is consumed with passionate flames for running.

Then there are the days where it is ice cold. Frozen, my body hates running and seeks an early morning mutiny. Usually on Tuesdays. Tuesdays are the days for a more anarobic (without oxygen) workout that consists of increased heart rate workouts, intervals, hill repeats, and a fast insuing bout with lactic threshold.

Black dots invade my vision. My lungs burn deep. Deep muscle tissue aches as the poison of lactic flushes the energy cycle to complete gridlock. My mind screams, "I can't." My Will screams, "I must."

The road is the referee. In these moments, though priceless, are when my relationship with running is ice cold.

People ask me often, "Why do you love running so much?" My answer depends on the day you ask. Somedays its on fire. Other days its ice cold.


Regardless, as long as I am not indifferent, I am alive. Emotion towards any given subject is proof I still care.

If you can't, you must.

Now run.

JHARP
www.jasonharper.cc