Friday, January 14, 2011

Running 365: Day 14: "2 Down 50 To Go"

Sad but true. Never before has 50 weeks looked to be so far away. More is coming out of this early phased journey than running. The metaphore and typology of needing to be comfortable in the moment and not get impatient with 50 more weeks ahead. As with a long run, I take it 1 step, or in this case, 1 moment at a time.

I'm asked often, "how do you stay motivated?" The short answer is I dont. There are times when I lack motivation. But motivation is not my motor. Committment is what moves me forward. Motivation is the energy behind the movement. My committment is to chase down "the best version of myself." I run to "test the limits of the human souls." Those are the words of David Goggins. One of the ten endurance athletes, every person should know.

He chases limits.

And you? What do you chase today?

If its more money, you may end up bankrupt.
If its more things, you may get bogged down.

But if its the best version of yourself, you'll find greatness and significance. That's IN YOU.

As for what motivates me? Today, its great people.

PROFILE ONE OF TEN: People Every Athlete Should Know: David Goggins



Oh yea, regarding running. Heading out for a three-hour trail run today and a four-hour tomorrow AM. I love back to back long days. The best version of me is usually along the trail.

Much Hope.

JAS