Thursday, January 20, 2011

Running 365: Day 19: "Adversity"

Short post as I nurse the wounds of a broken stride. Today, DAY 19, is the first day I have missed and it was a good choice. Since Jan 1, I set out to see where and how much toll it would take on someone to run everyday in a calendar year. Not super creative, hundreds have done it for multiple years. But for me, it was interesting.

I have no illusions of granduer. Instead, I think I am a tad goofy. I wanted to do it to see hwat it felt like. Would my body endure, injure, or feel great?

Some of each.

Today, my day started at 5AM and by the time I got home it past 9PM. I still had enough in the take, but since Last Friday I had ran close to 50 miles and fatigue was felt. A nagging shin pain in the spot of my tibia break had my full attention. Doubtful they were connected, but a life lesson is to know that often we connect past pain to current sensitive spots.

So, at 9PM, emotionally drained, I chose to not run.

Part of the journey is talking open about what is ticking in the ticker in all areas of life. People want to know why I run, and I say, "so I can think clearly." Ironically, the cleares thought was to not run.

Iced the shin. E-stim the quads. Rest the mind.

Tomorrow is a new day.

JHARP